Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Paddy's Day

Ever since I was a kid I have also loved St. Paddy's day. Grandma sent us cards when we were little and I even took Irish step dancing with my sister and this lovely lady.

I love that our last name is Cavanaugh, it's such a fun name! Here's a little about our heritage.

- Our coat of arms
-Looks like most Cavanaugh's were settled in the Southern part of Scotland
- More history

There doesn't seem to be much history about St. Patrick, but from what I can gather he was missionary and that sounds pretty good to me!

Here is a tad bit from Wikipedia about him:

When he was about sixteen he was captured by Irish raiders and taken from his native Wales as a slave to Ireland, where he lived for six years before escaping and returning to his family. After entering the church, he later returned to Ireland as a missionary in the north and west of the island, but little is known about the places where he worked

I always enjoy going down to the parade on Greenville to see all the nonsense. It's fun because you can get away with wearing stuff that you would never wear on any other day. For instance I was able to wear my hot pink Toms and actually got several compliments on them too!

Here are a few fun ones from last year. It was a little prettier out then so I thought I would share these.





I leave you with a few Irish Blessing and Quotes:

May your blessings outnumber
The shamrocks that grow,
And may trouble avoid you
Wherever you go.
~Irish Blessing

When Irish eyes are smiling,
'Tis like a morn in spring.
With a lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing.
~Author Unknown


A best friend is like a four leaf clover: hard to find and lucky to have. ~Author Unknown

2 comments:

Liz Rock said...

YES! I got a shout out!!! WOOOOHOOO! Love you Meggers!

Suzy Shoup said...

Did you not take pictures this year? I had hoped to see the madness since this was the 8th St Patty's day that I have lived in Dallas and STILL never been to the parade (although I certainly was closest to "being there" this year dropping you all off). :) Hopefully next year the weather will cooperate and I can make my first appearance!