Monday, November 23, 2009

When I grow up...

When you were little what did you dream of becoming? I feel like when we were kids we had such a clear vision of what we wanted to become. Little boys want to be firefighters and little girls want to be ballerinas. As you get older things get more complicated and life changes. Also I feel like God's plan may not be anything that we had imagined and can be even better than what we had hoped for.

Growing up I always wanted to be a flight attendant. They were always the nicest people! Since Dad flew for TWA we would travel a lot then and were never disappointed with the service.


{image found here}

As I was finishing college I didn't really know what I wanted to do other than work in sports and so that is what I did. After having a few jobs since then and gathering up a few skills along the way it is clear that I like organization, tasks with a completion phase that I can cross off my list, time with people and overall work that is rewarding.

It is all clear now that I can use all of these skills and things that I enjoy in my new job as a personal assistant! I'm so looking forward to start working with Sunni on the 14th. That is when I do my first week of training with her. I'm so excited to be able to spend this time with her and learn the ropes. This job will be very rewarding and productive which I love both!

What did you want to be when you were little and what are you now? Is it all that you dreamed, more or less of what you expected it to be?

3 comments:

RL said...

i wanted to be a scientist and find the cure for cancer (yes, back then, i thought one medicine could cure ALL cancer). i also wanted to be a writer and began writing (and illustrating - ha)short stories when i was about 4 or 5. i think the funniest fact was that i always said i would NEVER be a teacher and as we all know, i did that for 2 years.

as for what i do now, it's certainly not what i expected but i look forward to my next step whatever that may be!

p.s. so excited for your new job!

Meggers1021 said...

You're such a great writer, that makes sense that you wrote when you were younger. Now the scientist part, that is too funny. I never would've guessed that one!

Suzy Shoup said...

A (short) novel about me. :) For as long as I can remember I just assumed I would be a teacher. I'm not sure why or if it's what I wanted, but I feel somehow it's what I was "trained" to be when I was in elementary/junior high/high school. I actually went to a smaller school in Kansas (Emporia State) that was formerly known as The Teachers College. I was going to teach high school math. I still love math, but after some tutoring sessions when I felt impatient when other people didn't understand (coupled with a D in Calc 2 which I didn't have interest in anyway - I'm a big fan of basic math - not all that fancy schmancy math) I decided teaching problems wasn't the path I was meant to go down. One of the fields that was acceptable to keep my big scholarship and that struck me as very interesting was Marketing/Advertising so midway through my sophomore year I swapped majors, then transferred to Kansas State for the beginning of my junior year and the rest is history. I love my job in advertising, though lately I'm feeling a bit burnt out and I've always had an interest in books and Librarys (and even though the Dewey Decimal System isn't used the way it used to be - with computer card catalogs and all), I still think that could be a job I love so if I can ever find the time and financial means, I might go back to school for Masters in Library Science. Joey laughs, but what better way to spend a day than surrounded by books and every story imaginable!

Hey - you asked! :)